Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Memoir #2


I want to give credit where due and I think the following theme list came from writer Jack Remick of Seattle. Or the list could have come from Michele Weldon. 



Common themes for the memoir:
Abusive relationships
Incest
Dysfunctional families
Living in Poverty (The Glass Castle)
From Poverty to Riches
And the reverse (How Starbucks Saved my Life)
Tell Alls – juicy secrets mostly from celebs
Courage – war stories
Pets – My Life with Snooky – I made up this title but not all memoirs are high                         drama. Some are about the wonder and love of a devoted pet.

            And there are Happy Family memories – 700 Sundays by Billy Crystal


 What I liked about Crystal's book was that it was about family - his love of his father and the 700 Sundays they had together before the father died when Billy was 15. I'm not much interested in reading about celebrities and how they found fame. Families, I care about.

 Reading memoirs
I decided, after collecting odds and ends, quotes and first chapters to include in my power point, that I ought to spend a little time reading memoirs. So I went to my local library, and I must confess, looked for the shortest ones on the shelf. I was going for quantity, not necessarily quality. My reading list:
Year of Learning Dangerously – Quinn Cummings
An Innocent, A Broad – Ann Leary
The Dali Lama’s Mother – didn’t read, not well enough written
The World’s Strongest Librarian
My Father’s House – Sylvia Fraser
Hoda – Hoda Kotb
Boy – Roald Dahl
700 Sundays – Billy Crystal
How Angel Peterson Got His Name – Gary Paulson
Blackbird – Jennifer Lauck
Driving With Dead People – Monica Holloway
Homesick: My Own Story - Jean Fritz
Lean In – Sheryl Sandberg – not a memoir but I throw it in anyway
Red Midnight – Ben Mikaelsen – fiction that reads like memoir
All-in – Pete Hautman (fiction that reads like memoir)
How Starbucks Saved My Life – Michael Gates Gill

            Interestingly, the first two on the list were my favorites. Not because of subject matter, but because I loved the writing style, the bits of humor and learning something I had no way of knowing I wanted to learn.
            I had another week to go, but suddenly I was done, burned out. No more reading of memoirs. Not forever, but for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment